The Irish name for Cheekpoint is Rinn na Sioga or in English,
Point of the Streak. Subsequently it was called Bolton Inn but
this name is now no longer used and the original is the only one
recognised. Before the building of the pier at Dunmore East,
Cheekpoint was a thriving prosperous town, being the station at
which the mail packets from England for Waterford stopped.
William Downes, M.A., DA, Protestant Chancellor of Lismore, died
in Waterford in 1793 and was buried in the old church of
Faithlegg. By his will he left £50 for encouraging the
manufacture of cotton either in the City of Waterford or the
Barony of Gaultier, and the cotton factory at Cheekpoint was
established by Cornelius Bolton, Esq., who was chiefly responsible
for all the improvements carried out at Cheekpoint. In 1667
Captain Bolton was carrying out improvements in Faithlegg. In the
proceedings of the Irish Parliament in 1783 there is mention of
272 acres "in Fatleg which were retrenched by Captain Bolton", and early in the 19th century the factories at Cheekpoint
were established. In fact the Boltons did so much for Cheekpoint
that the name was changed to Bolton or Bolton Inn.
"Topography of Ireland" published in 1806 has the
following reference:- "Bolton, formerly called Cheekpoint,
cotton factory and hoisery, established by Mr. Bolton. A most
commodious Inn for passengers in the packets to and from Milford
Haven in Pembrokershire. An earlier writer refers to it -
"Mr. Cornelius Bolton lives very retired in the country and
has employed a considerable part of his fortune in building a
large village where he has established several important
manufactures, particularly looms. The industry which he encourages
in his colony renders it probable that his expense will be repaid
him, and that it will become an oblect of utility to the public
and of profit to him although suggested by motives of humanity
are further told that to the spirited exertions of Mr. Bolton the
citizens of Waterford were said to be primarily indebted for the
establishment of the packets from England, and that the diversion
of these packets from Cheekpoint to Dunmore East would be a serious
loss to the proprietor of Cheekpoint who had expanded a
considerable sum of money on hotels and other accommodations,
unless Parliament should take this loss into consideration.
is evident from all this that from 1790 or so to 1815 Cheekpoint
was a place of some importance, that Mr. Bolton spared neither
trouble nor expense in making it a suitable landing place for the
passengers on the packets to and from England, and that the
transfer of the station to Dunmore East meant a very considerable loss
The Suir Inn as it is today is basically the same building built by the Bolton Family incorporating a much older structure.
In 1971 the pub was bought by Dunstan and Mary McAlpin. Dunstan had been working in the textile industry in Dublin but decided to get out of the "rat race"! Mary up until then had been busy bringing up their five children and another one was added within the first couple years at Cheekpoint. Soon after the family moved into the pub they moved out again into a cottage accross the road while major refurbishment and building work took place. This was to last almost a year.
The pub stayed open and had a steady drinks trade due to the busy fishing harbour. There was a demand for food and soon after Fresh Salmon Rolls appeared on the counter of The Suir Inn. It has been said that this was the birth of the Salmon Roll. Lunches and evening meals soon followed and by the late '70s the pub had built up a considerable local reputation for fresh seafood and an authentic Indian curry, Dunstan had spent several years in India during his youth and always enjoyed cooking as a hobby.
Since the 70's the pub has remained virtually unchanged. Members of the family have taken an active part in the running of the business while Mary and Dunstan still maintain a considerable behind the scene active involvement in the kitchens during the day.